Friday, October 13, 2017

Heartbreak

Hello everyone. Cindi here.




It is with a heavy heart and deep sorrow to let you all know that my dear friend Vanessa Morrison passed away Wednesday, 10/11/17, after an 8-year battle with cancer. Many of you followed her on her blog, Van’s Doll Treasures, where she posted stories about her various doll families in Morristown. She also showed us photos of things she made, treasures she found and doll bargains she discovered in her travels. She also kept us updated on her health condition.

I was first introduced to Vanessa’s blog in the Autumn 2012 issue of Fashion Doll Quarterly magazine. There was a 4-page article in there that featured her and her doll collection. I started following her blog shortly thereafter.

Later on, I started thinking about doing my own blog. Since I didn’t know anything about how to do that, I sought Vanessa’s advice. She was very kind, patient and helpful with my myriad of questions. After that, Moreville Life and Times was born, and she became one of my first followers. Without Vanessa’s encouragement and support, this blog wouldn’t exist.

When her dog Buttercup had puppies, she posted pictures on her blog. She was looking for homes for the puppies at the time. We immediately fell in love with the one she called “Blackie” since she didn’t have a name for him. We named him Bruiser.




Here's a photo of the little guy.


After several emails, we agreed to meet Vanessa in Buford, Georgia on a cold January day to bring Bruiser home with us. I immediately recognized her by her big, beautiful smile – truly a smile that could light up a room. We had a nice visit that day. We were hoping to get together again sometime in the future. Sadly, that never happened.

The last time I spoke to Vanessa on the phone was this past August. She sounded happy but tired, so we didn’t talk long. It was so good to hear her voice. In her last email to me, she was excited about starting physical therapy so that she could walk again. She was determined not to let her illness bring her down. She stayed strong for as long as she could.

They say that people come into your life for a reason. I know why Vanessa came into mine. She taught me the power of a positive attitude, no matter what challenges life throws at you. She taught me to enjoy life each and every day. I told her this last Christmas. She cried. Now she’s an angel, lighting up God’s Heaven with her bright, beautiful smile. Her light shines through the darkness.

Rest now my friend. The battle is over. I love you and will miss you always…

20 comments:

  1. It's so sad. Vanessa's blog was the first doll blog I found and started following. She was so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaye,
      Vanessa was a very special lady. She was loving, kind and very talented. She was my friend, and I'll always miss her.

      Delete
  2. Vanessa will be deeply missed. I was so sad when I heard the news and could barely sleep last night. We communicated via email when I reached out to check on her in August. I am glad that I had the chance to let her know how much we missed her. RIP my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia Girl,
      I received the news Thursday morning, and I couldn't sleep that night myself even with a sleep aid. I'm glad you were able to communicate with her and tell her how you felt. She is terribly missed and was loved by many.

      Delete
  3. When I began collecting back in 2006, Vanessa's blog was one of the first ones I stumbled upon when I began my own blog and began building dioramas. She was a special , talented soul and will be so missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      Vanessa was so very talented and artistic. The clothes, furniture and food she made for her dolls were amazing. She was one special lady, and I'm glad I got the opportunity to meet her in person.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to Vanessa. She touched so many lives with her amazing positivity and willingness to help and encourage others to play! I can honestly say that I never would have started blogging about my dolls without the encouragement of Vanessa. I wish I had been lucky enough to have met her, but even though I hadn't, I still considered her a friend. She will be deeply missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis,
      Vanessa inspired me so much with her positivity in spite of the horrible disease she was fighting. Many would have given up long before now. Not Vanessa. She fought hard and wouldn't let it get her down. She considered all of her followers her doll family and loved each and every person. She was truly your friend as she was mine. I miss her terribly...

      Delete
  5. Though I am not a Barbie collector, I had the honor of meeting Vanessa when we picked up Bruiser. I will never forget her beautiful smile and the warmth of her heart, was hard for all to say goodbye that day Rest In Peace my friend, you fought a good fight, now is the time to rest, Your smile still warms my heart as my Pop would say, you done good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne,
      We had fun that day. Vanessa radiated warmth and love from the moment we met her. She fought hard. Now she can rest.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful tribute to this lovely woman. I didn't have a chance to meet her, but I knew her through your connection with her. I'm sorry for your loss, sis. I know how much she meant to you and all of her followers. Holding all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sis,
      Thanks. Yes, Vanessa meant alot to me. She truly was a wonderful and amazing woman. People like that come along once in a rare while. She can rest now, but I'll always miss her.

      Delete
  7. I am so sad to hear this. I truly loved her doll stories. They were the bright spot in my inbox. She will be missed greatly. There will be a huge void in the doll community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nefertiti,
      I really enjoyed her doll stories also. She was a great inspiration to me. She was a wonderful, talented lady and will be missed by so many. I agree that there is now a huge hole in the doll community where she was so well-known and loved.

      Delete
  8. Cindi, thanks for sharing this post about Vanessa Morrison. I am happy that you met her personally. I consider myself lucky to have met her online on Blogger and on Facebook. "Meeting" you both has improved my social life. Hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D7ana!
      Vanessa was truly a lovely woman, both inside and out. I'm glad I was able to meet her in person. Hope you're doing well my friend. Many hugs right back to you. :-)

      Delete
  9. This is such a beautiful tribute to Vanessa. She was and continues to be an inspiration to me. She will be greatly missed. Thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne,
      You're very welcome. Vanessa was truly a beautiful lady, loved by many. She is greatly missed...

      Delete
  10. Ms. Morrison will truly be missed her doll stories are and will always be one of my favorites! I was sorry to hear the news. SUch a delightful soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      Vanessa was loved and will be missed by many. She was even more delightful in person with her kind heart and big, bright smile. She was truly a lovely lady.

      Delete